Pin It button on image hover

Thursday 16 May 2013

It's a new dawn, it's a new day...

And I'm feelin' good!

Oh inspiration has hit.  Inspiration has jumped up, grabbed me by the ankles and bitten me on the Botticelli.   It has gathered momentum and proactively attacked my very core.  I am a sick woman.  I am lamenting the fate of my hands.  Yet despite the constant feel of glue on my cuticles and paper on my tail I am in love.

I have been hit with a new disease.  it is called 'Decoupagitis'.  Highly contagious in the world of furniture restoration and not good for conversation with The Tweeps.  "Mama can we do some painting?" "No, but lets get out loads of vintage wallpaper the glue and...".  I lost them at Vintage.

So why am I newly obsessed?  Why this of course.
Source: Graham & Brown

This beauty popped up on my newsfeed, via Graham & Brown.  Beautiful wallpapered & sanded floorboards. I just wanted them, (despite having cow dung floors - yes really - and no floor boards), so what is a girl to do?

Have a go of course.  I tried a couple of techniques.  Transfers - with mixed results, then simple, good, old fashioned, (yes, its a rather established art), decoupage.  And sanding.  And waxing. And distressing. And waxing a bit more.  And I LOVE it.

I have lost my fingerpads to layers of glue, (need a cat burglar?  I'm your girl, no telltale fingerprints from me.  No Sir).  I have played and toyed and created.  And I am happy as a barrel.

The Tweeps are less enthused.  Tweep No. 2 asked me "Are you going to make that old thing look better mummy?".  Obviously this is a compliment.  She, being only 5, considers all things pre. 2012 ancient   This had been an orange 1980's style pine shelf.  So technically, was virtually around with the Dinosaurs   I decided to forgive her.

Should I be offended that Tweep No. 1 asked me this very morning, "Mama, were pens invented when you were alive?  In the olden days".  Love the addendum son.  Thank you.

Better yet, he asked me if I could remember when everything was black and white.  I'm assuming he meant the TV, if not that is an existential debate beyond my Mummy pay grade.

Actually maybe Tweep No. 1's intellectual capacity should be queried.  He is convinced that there are rather a lot of women wearing Panini's on the worlds beaches.  Sounds soggy, though handy if you need a quick scooby snack.

I digress,  No really, I do.  You want to know about furniture and shabby stuff and whatnot.  Shout it...what was that?  You want pictures?  Go on then.  Twisted my arm.

decoupage and shabby vintage display
Display Shelving with decoupage

teacups & decoupage
Love those shelves

pretty vintage wallpaper decoupage
Pretty, pretty,
Do you like my little shelf unit?  I love it, but it is for sale so email me, fiona@debell.me if you would like her.

Want to see some more of my experiments with technique? Go on then - as my very good friend likes to say when asked if she would like another glass of Prosecco.

Soon to be appearing on furniture near you.  Loveliness.

Mwah. Mwah.

M x

Butterfly on Crackled paint
Butterfly on Crackled paint

Vintage Wallpaper on board
Vintage Wallpaper on board

Rosie Posy Paper
Rosie Posy Paper

Marylin Monroe
Miss Monroe, why are you hiding?
Flutterby Butterfly on wood
Flutterby Butterfly

Roses transfer
Be still my beating heart.

3 comments:

LadyShabFab said...

Hi Marie.
I am totally hooked on decoupage too, used to do projects years ago, and have now re-discovered it. We all have a different style, and I love what you have created.

Lynne Heather-Linton.....Shabbily Fabulous. X

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a really pretty effect. I've never tried decoupage, maybe I should give it a try!

Anonymous said...

WOW love what you've done with those shelves. I discovered decoupage last year, but to be honest I didn't have the patience to do it properly. Linda x (The Crafty Network)